Question:
Guitar technique?
2007-05-21 12:31:50 UTC
I've been playing acoustic since I was 8 years old. In the past three years, I've been really into electric. I play in a band, I am really into slow dark blues metal, like a mix between Sabbath and Cream. I am great at coming up with riffs, but I suck at writing material. Anyone wanna write me some good lyrics?
Ten answers:
2007-05-21 13:35:37 UTC
Dude... write from you experiences and your heart. Springsteen is a good example, he is a story teller, as is Clapton. Let your mind create riffs like you do with your guitar, only they are lyric riffs. Get it?
Raven Rage
2007-05-22 11:50:53 UTC
Best way to do it is to basically compose your guitar parts in Riffs instead of just one long strung out thing. Like have Riff 1, Riff 2, ect. Chart it out for the parts like the intro and all if you havent done it already.

Keep your verse riff simple. Something simple, consistent, and just easy to play. This way there is plenty of room for lyrics and not as much weighing down the possibility to match sound.

If you have an intro riff, basically make it in the same key as your verse riff or something. Dont just do something completely outlandishly different and go into it.

When you are doing the chorus you dont have to really change your chords. Just add a few, keep it simple until you get to your Bridge section or outro, for example:

Lets say your chord progression is B minor, Gb/F#, F (Just a decent guess). When you get to your chorus you could add things that are similar. Like an Ab or something. Its a full step up from a Gb, and makes the sound kind of vary. Basically dont stray way too far away from the verse with the chorus.

Doing all this will make your lyrics flow better because the music will flow together also. Main thing is remember to keep the riffs open, and simple so you can match your lyrics in there. Also sing about something you can remember, not something that is so complex that you will never remember any of it.
2007-05-23 20:24:02 UTC
Well man, really in the music business it doesn't work that way. Not too many people are gonna just send you lyrics that they write. If the lyrics are any good they'll copyright them, themselves. For the most part, people know if they can write lyrics and they know if their lyrics are good. If they know this, then generally they know about copyright, and they've already copyrighted. What I'd do is see if you and the other guys in your band can come up with lyrics to your riffs. Anybody in the band can write the lyrics to a song, but usually (definitely not always) the vocalist writes the lyrics with help from the band members if he gets stuck.
stratplayer1967
2007-05-21 12:40:03 UTC
the guys I jam with all kinda make it up as we go, many times right on the stage as people are watching.

I would suggest just settleing into a funky blues riff, you know, Em I/IV/V progression and then letting that riff do it's magic. It seems to work for us. We really surprise some folks when we hit up an open mic night in town. It's funny, they say "WOW, you guys ROCK." We laugh and say "thanks, if you only knew how long we've been working on that song."

Most people don't even have a clue, and the ones that do just laugh right along with us.
Fred J
2007-05-24 13:23:43 UTC
You send me a riff or a tune, and I write you a dozen lyrics - But, ONLY ONE lyric really goes with a song. It's sorta like a marriage. Can you imagine "Crossroads" with any other lyric? You can get me on yahoo as jen2rescue304.
Paul Hxyz
2007-05-23 09:58:04 UTC
Read some classic literature, especially poetry. That might help you write some better lyrics. Writing good songs takes a little work if you want them to be memorable and "cool".
Johnny Rocker 89
2007-05-21 12:48:28 UTC
Well, I'm not good with lyrics so much, but that is really cool you're into Black Sabbath and Cream. Heavy-metal vocals meets Eric Clapton.

EDIT: DId I waste my time answering this question? Geez!
2007-05-24 12:28:58 UTC
i was walkin down a lonely road

with the sunset at my back

darkness filled my soul

i laid my lover on the railroad track

made sweet love then i pulled the rope from behind

tied my baby down couldn't get her outta my mind

i let her think the train was comin

she was shakin in her fright

i left my baby on them tracks

for 42 and one half nights

she begged me for forgiveness

she cried and tried to plead

i told my baby i loved her

and that i'd set her free

if she'd do one little thing for me

rock me rock me rock me

every night and day

make love to your man

in every single way

she swore her devotion

i cut the rope away

and now my baby's lovin me

every single day

LOL....this is probly not the kinda lyrics u want but hey it was fun:)
2007-05-21 12:42:06 UTC
Try Battlecry:
Paradise
2007-05-21 15:23:19 UTC