Question:
Better Blues-man: Robert Johnson or Muddy Waters? Why?
guitarguidance3
2007-05-20 08:30:04 UTC
Better Blues-man: Robert Johnson or Muddy Waters? Why?
Eleven answers:
2007-05-20 08:34:02 UTC
Muddy Waters. While Johnson is more original and innovative, Muddy Waters has a definite finnesse and style which stands out.
saponindn73
2007-05-20 20:10:15 UTC
Robert Johnson only b/c of his unique sound and tone. He is in pretty much a class of his own not to say the Muddy Waters didnt play an important part as well.

I personally rather listen to Muddy Waters rather than Robert Johnson but I feel that Robert Johnson played alarge role in setting the standards for blues. Just my opionion.....
Paul Hxyz
2007-05-20 15:35:08 UTC
Comparing the two is like comparing apples to pineapples - what do YOU like better? Robert Johnson has his legacy and so does Muddy Waters - they were both great at what they did. Muddy Waters made the electric guitar a "standard" of modern "Chicago" blues, but the electric guitar wasn't really around in Robert Johnson's day. Therefore, its really impossible to call this one.
kevrigger
2007-05-20 19:00:09 UTC
Robert Johnson, If you listen to his original recordings you can put a metronome on every song and he never varies, even though he is all over the guitar and singing off rhythms. The man had a natural talent that only comes every century or so.
Stratobratster
2007-05-20 16:05:43 UTC
On one level they are close to equal based on their influence on other bluesmen and the classic songs they each have.

On the other hand, Muddy Waters. His "Fathers And Sons" is my all time favorite blues album. Paul Butterfield (blues harp), Otis Spann (piano), and Mike Bloomfield (guitar) are among the musicians backing Waters. What a band! Try to check out this CD.
bobbyd514
2007-05-21 00:22:55 UTC
muddy waters although robert johnson was amazing
2007-05-20 15:36:24 UTC
while not discountin' robert johnson's role in blues music and his influences on rock and roll itself...i have to give this one to muddy waters for his stage presence, vocal power and an even bigger influence on rock and roll...
:(
2007-05-20 15:53:21 UTC
Robert Johnson.. because he sold his soul to the devil at the crossroads...
Bend Them Strings
2007-05-20 16:33:22 UTC
robert johnson cuz he really did go to the croosroads and sell his soul to the devil
BoosGrammy
2007-05-20 15:33:53 UTC
I don't know how you answer that. They both are great and with their own style. I love blues music and there are so many great blues artists, I think they all don't get enough recognition.
Cathy
2007-05-20 18:58:14 UTC
That's like comparing apples to oranges.