Question:
Blues Guitarists?
2007-05-10 10:12:06 UTC
I'm looking for some different players to listen to. Of course I listen to Robert Johnson, Leadbelly, Freddie and Albert, Muddy, Buddy, B.B, SRV, EC- you get the idea.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
37 answers:
ktd_73
2007-05-10 13:40:40 UTC
Three all-time greats that, for some reason, no one has mentioned so far (and that you don't hear much about):

1. Skip James--His "Devil Got My Woman" is the eerie song the lead character in the movie Ghost World falls in love with and listens to all night. His "I'm So Glad" was made into a rock hit in the 60's by Eric Clapton, but he hated that version, and so do I. (He did, however, appreciate the royalties.) Try to get the early recordings album. Yeah, it sounds a little scratchy and all, but he was at the height of his abilities when those sides were recorded. The later recordings, made after he was "rediscovered," are easier listening, and in some cases genuinely beautiful (his voice aged nicely), but you can tell his fingers aren't flying quite as fast as in the early days.

2. Rev. Gary Davis--He struggled most of his professional life with whether he could be a good Christian and a blues player at the same time. The ultimate answer is that he was both. Though he put out only one purely "secular" recording late in his life (at the exhortation of those who wanted his "pure" blues recordings saved for posterity), his religious albums exhibit some incredible guitar playing. He was blind, and he used an unusual technique which I don't appreciate (not being a guitar player myself). But I've got some DVDs of him playing and my sons are just astonished every time.

3. Robert Pete Williams--They say that he wasn't influenced by anyone, and that (unlike the other two) he himself didn't influence anyone else because he was so unique. I haven't heard anything like him, and I don't know how to explain him in musical terms, but the more I listen, the more I appreciate him. At the very least, I can say that his songs are intensely personal and original--no one else is likely to cover most of these. Make sure that in addition to his individual albums you hear the songs by him on "Angola Prisoner's Blues," an amazing field recording album. His song "Prisoner's Talking Blues" was supposedly improvised on the spot. For his guitar playing, though, "I'm Lonesome Blues" shows off his skills.

I've barely touched on these guys, so below are the links discussing them and their work on the allmusic.com website.
paul g
2007-05-11 03:42:22 UTC
Son House, Lowell Folsom, Houston Stackhouse, Robert Nighthawk, R.L.Burnside, Jessie Mae Hemphill, Junior Kimbrough, Honey Boy Edwards, Charlie Patton, Bukka White, Big Boy Cruddup, Memphis Minnie.. these are semi obscure to some but icons amongst bluesman/woman and there are tons more.. Buy DVD "DEEP BLUES" or "BLUES STORY".. also, when You purchase a CD, if its got decent liner notes, see if there are other composers besides the featured artist and follow the dots.. many gem's out there, finally, you are an aspiring blues guitarist.. bluesmen such as Mississippi Fred McDowell, Big Joe Williams (9 string guitar).. Lightnin' Hopkins, Fuzzy Lewis feature on DVD from back in the day footage. Thses are a great learnimg tools, most of the shots are of fingers on strings fingers on fret board, put your player on a slower speed that still carries the sound and you'll discover major "secrets"..good luck -paul
Edko
2007-05-11 05:26:48 UTC
Some of the killer youngbloods on the scene are Doyle Bramhall, His dad wrote cold shot for srv and he produces and performs with Clapton, Mato from a group called indigienous is incredible, Ian moore is killer, Derek Trucks is great but can be a little jazzy (I mean that in a good way) Tinsey Ellis is a great guitarist. Peter green, gary moore, Big Bill Broonzy is old school. Check em out
Stratobratster
2007-05-10 19:51:26 UTC
Mike Bloomfield, (early) Roy Buchanon (particularly his Second Album), Stevie Ray Vaughn, Albert King, Jimmy Johnson, T Bone Walker, Johnny Winter (especially Progressive Blues Experiment), Duane Allman (particularly the Allman Bros. - Live At The Fillmore), (early) Bonnie Raitt
Arsobia64
2007-05-10 16:26:12 UTC
Check out these guys: Guitar Slim, JB Lenoir, Elmore James, T-Bone Walker, Gatemouth Brown, Mike Bloomfield, Johnny Winter, Son House, Roy Buchanan, Pat Hare, Ike Turner, Robert Junior Lockwood, Buddy Guy, Albert Collins. Oh and, some cat named Hendrix.
2007-05-11 09:52:34 UTC
John Fahey

http://www.amazon.com/gp/music/wma-pop-up/B000003Z93001004/104-8412583-2845536
bluesman6885
2007-05-12 23:23:04 UTC
Roy Buchanan, Robert Randolph, Derek Trucks, Duane Allman, Steve Cropper, Robin Trower, and any of the guitarists that played with John Mayall.
Chris B
2007-05-11 12:27:11 UTC
I'm trying to come up with some less obvious choices. These guys are great:

Chris Duarte - Funky Texas-style blues. Amazing, amazing guitarist!

Jimmy Thackery - Cool blues, kinda similar to SRV but maybe more of a surf-guitar influence at times.

Vivian Campbell - Yes, THAT Viv Campbell (the guy from Dio who currently plays for Def Leppard). He recently put out a great blues album called "Two Sides Of If", with probably my favorite version of "Come On In My Kitchen" ever. Also great versions of other classic blues songs. He's an incredible, soulful guitarist and has a great voice too.

And then, for more mainstream stuff:

Keb' Mo' - If you're into the whole acoustic slide/fingerpicking thing, he has some great acoustic stuff (in addition to other authentic-sounding, great original blues tunes).

Check out the video links to YouTube for Duarte and Thackery, especially the Duarte one from 1992. Man, I love his style!
2007-05-10 18:00:59 UTC
Hound Dog Taylor, Lightnin' Hopkins, John Lee Hooker, early Ray Charles, Jeff Healy, Pine Top Perkins, Eddie the Chief Clearwater...
2007-05-10 11:05:58 UTC
There was a very talented Irish guitarist named Rory Gallagher (died 1996), who incorporated blues into some very fiery rock and roll.

I always liked Hubert Sumlin, who played on Howlin' Wolf's records.

If you want to dig way back, check out the work of Lonnie Johnson. There is also the great Elmore James. Jimmie Rogers was pretty good. In fact, Jimmy's last record was one he released in 1997, shortly before his death, that featured a variety of guests like Eric Clapton, Stephen Stills, Jeff Healey, Jimmie Page, and Keith & Mick. It's a pretty good record.

My all time favorite, though, is T-Bone Walker.
Debbie
2007-05-12 18:53:08 UTC
Gatemouth Johnson (84 years old and still up there with the best), Roy Buchanan, Stevie Ray, Eric Clapton, Robert Cray.
mojo3879
2007-05-11 13:38:21 UTC
I've been introduces some Blues artists with a different sound lately - Junior Kimbrough and RL Burnside...give them a listen. For the greatest blues/rock going these days give a band by the name of The Black Keys a listen - great stuff!
warmdaddy
2007-05-10 17:37:10 UTC
Walter Trout, Dick's Hat Band, Roy Buchanan
wizardufozz2002
2007-05-11 02:10:39 UTC
Although it's a little bit radio friendly/poppy, have you listened to any Robert Cray? He has a great guitar sound, and plays good solo's!!! Anything from the album 'Strong Persuader' is pretty good. Of course he has other good songs too. I don't know if that's your kinda blues, but I think it's decent. Something that not EVERYONE else listens to.
2007-05-11 13:26:36 UTC
..

I don't know, I swear, why, it seems like people who

like blues shun Albert Collins. One of the Masters

of The Telecaster. Died in 1993. Had a band,

The Icebreakers. I like him a lot, because not only

is he the best of any electric bluesmen, he had a

great sense of humor, lyrically.

I don't play, but Collins had a good attack, and

very good sustain. He did quite a few instrumental songs.

..Collins Mix: The Best Of Albert Collins

,........
docscholl
2007-05-10 19:02:27 UTC
Guitarists, eh?

Here are five that you may or may not have heard...but certainly they brought some global power to the world of blues.

Some of these guys are dead, others are no longer in a band, but their licks live on!

noonesfool71
2007-05-11 14:13:19 UTC
Eric Johnson....from Austin Texas....excellent guitarist.
BoosGrammy
2007-05-10 11:26:20 UTC
Stevie Ray Vaughn and Eric Clapton are 2 of my favorite blues guitarists that you didnt mention. Many people dont look at Clapton as a blues guitarist, but that is his first love, and he is so very good at it. I love Blues music and I enjoy many names, but those 2 have to be on my top ten.
34pict3
2007-05-10 10:45:56 UTC
Buddy Guy - i bought his cd "sweet tea" and i'm impressed. bb king has a nice clear tone , great vocals is also up there in my favorite choices. i have this cd "sun blues" it's a compilation disc of blues songs recorded at the sun studios in memphis. and it'll give you a good idea ofd some lesser known blues players.

- the greats are good, but there's an honest intensity in the lesser knowns.
2007-05-10 19:11:41 UTC
Gary Moore

Dave Meniketti

Pat Travers

...all 3 mostly Rock guitarists, but have put out some stunning blues releases..
Tommy M
2007-05-10 18:17:18 UTC
Freddie King

Get "King of the Blues" 2 disk set. It's awesome.
jojo
2007-05-10 18:06:45 UTC
Bonnie Raitt is a great blues guitarists as well as little known Debbie Daives who has played with bb and many others. Buddy Guy,Paige,Clapton,Stevie ray,too many to mention,the allman brothers
kitz
2007-05-10 10:15:26 UTC
The best in my humble opinion are the late Roy Buchanan and SRV.Roy was just as good as SRV,yet few people have ever heard of him.
nomarriageagain
2007-05-10 15:21:07 UTC
anything you can find by Roy Buchanan...Johnny winters..Gary Moore..Albert Collins...Robert cray...Johnny Copeland..Jeff healey.. especially "Roy Buchanan"..probably best blues man ever <- my opinion...just recently found a 3 CD set of "Fleetwood Mac" - "The Early Years"..phenominal Blues...all the pre lindsay & stevie stuff..very deep rooted blues..excellent addition to any collection
2007-05-12 15:57:34 UTC
I like B B King and Albert King.
2007-05-10 10:19:10 UTC
One of my personal favorites is Johnny Lang. He is incredible on the guitar and he also has a great voice. If you love blues, and by the artists you mentioned I can see that you do, definitely check him out. He is amazingly talented.
?
2007-05-11 17:17:09 UTC
Some of my faves:

Jimmy Thackery

Watermelon Slim

Greg Koch
Nightflyer
2007-05-11 16:17:52 UTC
Robben Ford plays some great blues.
robknightmusician@yahoo.ca
2007-05-11 23:33:51 UTC
as for clapton is god---he wrote that himself on a wall in England--he should be punished for graphitti. Try Hendrix's Red House---BLUES as it should be.
Perfect_Brat
2007-05-10 11:37:28 UTC
Try Led Zepplin - The BBC Sessions - it is GREAT
canablecorp1
2007-05-11 17:31:57 UTC
do u know blues scales and modes...movable up and down the neck..STUDY UP.jimmy page known for blues scales in most songs
Tater X
2007-05-12 19:07:17 UTC
John Lee Hooker!
2007-05-10 10:14:34 UTC
One of my favorites is Lightnin' Hopkins.
Blaze
2007-05-11 10:37:27 UTC
http://www.alligator.com has allot of lesser know blues players all of which is up to your personal taste . ....Enjoy
2007-05-10 21:13:09 UTC
i would suggest willie dixon and robert cray.
2007-05-10 10:22:05 UTC
roy buchanan(the best)
2007-05-10 10:58:05 UTC
Clapton is GOD!