Question:
Who are the best blues and jazz players of all time?
2007-05-15 18:25:56 UTC
There have been tons of blues and jazz players since the beginning of music. I have a huge list going all the way back to Robert Johnson to what is now Stevie Ray Vaughan and the great BB King. Who are some of you favorites?
32 answers:
Stratobratster
2007-05-16 07:34:47 UTC
JAZZ - Charlie Parker, John Coltrane, Miles Davis, Django Reinhart, Wes Montgomery, Dizzy Gillespie, Duke Ellington, Count Basie, Benny Goodman, Stephane Grappelli, Paul Desmond, Teddy Wilson, Charlie Christian, George Benson, Jaco Pastorious, Stanley Clarke, Chick Corea

BLUES - Muddy Waters, Howlin Wolf, John Lee Hooker, Mike Bloomfield, Roy Buchanan, Paul Butterfield, Otis Spann, BB King, Albert King, Stevie Ray Vaughn, Eric Clapton, Buddy Guy, Bonnie Raitt, T Bone Walker
2007-05-17 15:13:54 UTC
Jazz: Wes Motgomery, Charles Mingus, Miles Davis, John Coltrane, Louis Armstrong

Blues: Robert Johson, Eric Clapton, Buddy Guy, The three Kings (Freddie, Albert and B.B.), Stevie Ray Vaughan, Jimi Hendrix, Derek Trucks, John Mayer, Muddy Waters, Robert Cray, Jeff Beck.
r1ank1ng
2007-05-17 23:35:48 UTC
Miles Davis, Robert Johnson, Stevie Ray Vaughn,
Rip
2007-05-16 19:25:31 UTC
Stevie Ray Vaughan
Lowry
2007-05-17 15:43:30 UTC
A list that could go on forever.

Muddy Waters, Howling Wolf, SRV, Eric Clapton, Buddy Guy, John Coltrane, Miles Davis, Thelonius Monk, Charlie Mingus, George Benson, Wes Montgomery, Charlie Parker, and the king of all music, Robert Johnson.
Andy
2007-05-16 15:18:54 UTC
Miles Davis and John Coltrain for jazz

I love Stevie Ray Vaughan and John Lee Hooker. Jimmy Hendrix had some great blues, check out Electric Church Red House.
2007-05-16 11:02:56 UTC
Blue Miles Davis

BB King

Blue Trane=John Coltrane

Robert Johnson

Muddy Watters
Chris B
2007-05-16 15:50:57 UTC
I'm gonna stick with guitar players only, since that's my instrument:

I believe Stevie Ray Vaughan was the single best blues guitarist that ever lived. Period.

As for jazz, I'm not into it as much, but I always liked the melodic and bluesy players like Larry Carlton or George Benson and Earl Klugh.
?
2007-05-16 11:41:12 UTC
I say Sun House and Stevie Ray Vaughan
2007-05-15 18:34:50 UTC
Maynard Ferguson, Josef Zawinel, Herbie Hancock, Glenn Miller, Wynton Marsalis, Chic Corea, Stan Kenton, Rich Matterson
buzzbait0u812
2007-05-17 21:21:02 UTC
Keb Mo

CoCo Taylor

John Lee Hooker

Mississipipi John Hurt

Daniel Lefkowitz

Muddy Waters

and Many, Many more

Jazz...I guess Harry Conick, Jr.

Lou Ralls

Maria Maldur (spelling)
IggySpirit
2007-05-16 11:00:48 UTC
If you look at the as one style, Miles Davis, Oscar Petterson. John Coltrane, Loius Armstrong...there s so many! And they can be claimed for both blues and jazz. Strickly blues, i personally think the early Rolling Stones were incomparable. From the preceding generation Howlin Wolf was the man!
Kevin k
2007-05-15 19:44:10 UTC
The Smokin' Joe Kubeck Band featuring Bnois King is primarily a blues band, but they do some impressive jazz as well (check out their album "Check Your Head").

Mark Knopffler and the Dire Straits do a bit more blues than jazz, but "Your Latest Trick" off of "Brothers In Arms" is one not to miss.

Taj Mahal is very cool, again more blues than jazz; but he has been experiementing in all sorts of directions.
xtragnarrrlly
2007-05-16 21:14:55 UTC
For blues, Otis Rush and Little Walter. For jazz, Miles Davis and Charlie Parker.
Lennongroove
2007-05-16 16:52:27 UTC
First and foremost Robert Johnson...the Grand Daddy of Blues...but my fav Blues artist of the moment would have to either be Bonnie Rait, John Mayer Trio and McKinley Brown...oh man!!! Luv Blues!!
blooz
2007-05-16 21:04:00 UTC
Miles Davis

Sonny Rollins

I know his band may not technically be blues but I really like old Billy Gibbons stuff - early ZZTop. Especially "Blue Jean Blues".

Duane Allman

Warren Haynes

Jimi Hendrix
tioshadow
2007-05-15 19:37:09 UTC
The Late Great ZZ Hill
2007-05-18 12:30:59 UTC
Awright- where are the harp players?

Sonny Boy Williamson I & II

Little Walter

Junior Wells

and for my money the best (and most overlooked) harp player on the planet today: Corky Siegel
Dale H
2007-05-17 09:48:50 UTC
ANSWER: What is the best color? SRV (Riviera Paradise),

Mingus, Pete Cetera, ME (lol on bass). C Parker, Nat Cole Trio.

The spectrum is wide and full of GREAT players. It is the diversity in music that makes it so entertaining..
beth
2007-05-17 08:34:20 UTC
Some that haven't been listed yet:

Charlie Mingus

Ella Fitzgerald

Billie Holiday

John Mayall

Keb' Mo'
Spiritoso
2007-05-18 22:52:09 UTC
Albert King, Buddy Guy, Koko Taylor, Etta James, Oscar Peterson, Nat King Cole, Ella Fitzgerald. . .there are so many. . .
Jessie R
2007-05-18 18:10:42 UTC
You really need to check out Pee Wee Crayton. Other then me mentioning him myself, I think he is never mentioned in any circle of blues conversation I have ever had. He is diffently an unknown hero to people that are new to the world of blues.
brentblack92
2007-05-15 19:44:26 UTC
some of my favorites -- robert johnson, howlin' wolf, oscar peterson, john coltrane, sonny rollins.

Oh, and Hendrix's interpretation of the blues was incredible, so he definitely makes it onto the list.
Me
2007-05-17 16:22:04 UTC
Chick Corea, Miles Davis, and Coltrane are my favorite.
2007-05-16 19:57:31 UTC
All of them. I just love the music and I love anyone who can play it. I listen to the music for music sake and I just appreciate anyone who can put it down better than me.... and that's All of them. To me it's more the music than the man if you know what I mean?
2007-05-17 18:17:07 UTC
My favorite blues band is:

Stevie Ray.

I don't know much about jazz though.

ßübblëš
nomarriageagain
2007-05-16 09:56:19 UTC
wasn't gonna answer this one till i noticed that "Roy Buchanan" hadn't been mentioned yet...he had a"blues guitar" style this is so individual..that he stands alone in his contribution to the whole "blues" world....his raw power & emotion was incredible...nothing mainstream about his work...his career was short ...but his impact was "HUGE".his music is needed to fulfill any collection...without him..you've not yet heard the blues in it's broadest form
2007-05-16 16:22:38 UTC
alot of good ones mentioned but ther is also grover washington and stanley turentine

and don't forget johnny "guitar" watson.
dali333
2007-05-15 18:28:27 UTC
louie armstrong, ray charles, dizzy gillespie, miles davis
Boliver Bumgut
2007-05-16 01:49:19 UTC
albert king, buddy guy, miles davis, jimmy page, clapton
2007-05-15 20:48:02 UTC
Gary Moore , and he's from Ireland! LOL! Listen to his guitar though, he has "The Thang".....
2007-05-19 09:31:18 UTC
I like too many to name.