Question:
you ever notice that every blues song ever created has the exact same riff?
2007-05-11 05:11:05 UTC
i can't really describe it in words but if you're a music buff you should know the riff i'm talking about.
Eight answers:
WhoMe
2007-05-12 00:04:05 UTC
Not all blues have the same riff, in fact there's a lot of diversity within the music. Surely Bo Diddley and Muddy Waters had different approaches. Some of John Lee Hooker's songs were 8 bar blues, far different than 12 bars. Some blues are fingerpicked, with a slight country feel, while others are harder electric blues, not to mention Jump blues.. There's slow blues and uptempo boogies. Robert Johnson's songs sounded nothing like Hooker's or R L Burnside's. The only thing linking the music is they were all blues, based on the pentatonic scale.

Stylistically, they couldn't have been more different. Try comparing Hooker's "I'm In The Mood", Howlin' Wolf's "Spoonful", Johnson's "Come On In My Kitchen", Muddy's "I Can't Be Satisfied" , and Mississippi Fred McDdowell's "Shake 'Em On Down" for starters. They're all very different from each other, but still fit within blues framework.
Stratobratster
2007-05-11 13:31:12 UTC
I know what you are talking about, the Sweet Home Chicago riff but not all blues songs have this. Actually there are several blues riffs that are shared by numerous blues songs.
Edko
2007-05-11 12:35:04 UTC
That's a common cliche' As a blues lover and player I have found that most people who see it that way just haven't heard enough of it. There's alot of different types and approaches to blues. I would suggest Robert Cray, Keb Mo,Robben Ford and Doyle Bramhall and maybe Derek Trucks to get a taste of some Great blues that is not your stereotypical 1-4- 5 blues.
2007-05-11 16:54:52 UTC
Yeah i know what you mean :dee dum dee dee dumm dumm.But that's just one version ,if you listen to some of that old guy Johnny Lee Hooker,the sound is a very much more raw type blues.

Just like rock,not all rock is the same.
sledge h
2007-05-12 07:47:54 UTC
You my friend need to listen to some old Jimmy Hendrix from his blues days. There is quite a selection on the tunes site, I was surprized.
?
2007-05-11 14:40:22 UTC
Either you have a small blues collection or a small grasp of music.
axeman06
2007-05-11 12:26:01 UTC
You must be very limited in your exposure to the blues.
2007-05-11 13:49:01 UTC
You obviously haven't heard much blues. LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!